A real taste of hot lazy Summers, Bougainvillea grow freely in hot countries around the Mediterranean with their rich colours smothering walls and balconies in the hot sun, but they also make great summer plants right here too!
The lovely magenta pink variety is one of the more compact and floriferous varieties, and performs well at lower temperatures in winter too. The colour comes, in fact, from bracts, not flowers themselves - a little like Christmas poinsettia. The bracts turn brightest pink in summer whereas the flower itself is quite insignificant - a small creamy flower, which looks like the eye of the bracts.
These plants have been grown on a cane and are supplied with the cane in a 3L pot. Although climbers, they are slower growing in the UK. They’re perfect for growing in large pots in full sun on your patio, and then in winter bring inside to protect form cold. .
They can lose their bracts suddenly due to stress, so do not be alarmed if they drop - new ones will quickly re-appear in warm weather.
A real tropical addition to the Summer garden!
What Is Supplied
Item 680131 supplied as:
1 x 3L pot
Protect from frost in Winter, grow in Sun in Summer
- Before planting, water your potted plant well.
- Dig a hole a little deeper and 3 x wider than the nursery pot.
- Add a soil conditioner such as well-rotted manure to the earth removed from the hole along with some ericaceous compost if necessary.
- Remove the plant from its pot and tease out a few of the roots.
- Place your plant in the hole at the same level at the pot.
- Refill the hole with the earth removed (backfilling).
- Firm in the soil with your heel, avoiding the root ball.
- Water well and mulch around the base of the plant with a collar, compost, gravel, bark etc.